Saturday, December 15, 2012

THE FLU and a Reminder

I've never gotten a flu shot. I kept wondering if I SHOULD get one, especially with IVF looming in our future, however, Glenn was worried that if I suddenly decided to get the shot, I'd get sick. Welp. I got the flu anyways. Plus pneumonia, which is a complication from the flu. It's been a rough week. The people at the Target Pharmacy have slowly become my new best friends. I should have taken a picture of our counter a few days ago.. medicine bottles galore.

I seem to be on the mend though. I finished my Tamiflu yesterday and I'm still taking an antibiotic. I think it's safe to say... I've done my sick time for awhile. It was heartwarming though to return to school yesterday and see the many cards, notes, messages my sweet little friends left for me. Nothing compares to that feeling you get when you have your kids run into your classroom, wrap their arms around you, and yell, "You're back! I missed you so much." That my friends, is why I love my job. :)

Words cannot express how upsetting it was to come home yesterday and hear about the news in CT. As a teacher, who works with children each day.. still thinking about it breaks my heart. Sadly, it takes something like this for us to realize how short life can be. It upsets me sometimes in the mornings when I see parents drop their kids off in the morning, and they are too busy or distracted to even say "goodbye." Not that I am pointing fingers! I understand we have jobs and responsibilities, but these are your children. They were brought into this world with love. As someone who desperately wants a child of their own, it makes my heart hurt to see how some don't realize just how lucky they are to have those sweet babies. I remember seeing a quote somewhere that said something like that, "What you take for granted, someone, somewhere is wishing for."

I have the privilege each day to work with 26 AMAZING kids, not to mention the numerous other little blessings I've taught in previous years. I hope that I am not only teaching them, but creating a fun, safe, and loving environment for them in my classroom. They teach ME things everyday. I'm not saying it's always easy, but hey, being a parent is the same way, right? I will definitely be hugging my kids a little tighter on Monday. I'll definitely be reminding them of how special I think they are. And I definitely encourage you to do the same with your own kids today. Do something fun with them, even if it's just staying in PJs and watching cartoons a little longer. Or building a fort... that's aways fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment